Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Bye Bye April!

It's the last day of April and it's still so darn cold out.  This year we had a Winter that just won't go away, and now a Spring that feels like it hasn't actually arrived.  So far we've only had one slightly milder weekend,  just enough for me to spend the weekend cleaning the yard up and began to get the soil in the planters ready for seed sowing.


The Spring bulbs are starting to peak out of the ground and so far only these red tulips have bloomed.  I thought the Crocuses would come out first but I barely see any of them... maybe the squirrels ate them?  I'm guessing in another two weeks or so, more of the bulbs will start to bloom...  can't wait!

This year I decided to direct sow a bunch of cool weather vegetable seeds outside right into the planter.  I realized that I actually don't have enough space indoors to start seedlings for things like lettuce and radish.  Plus, I find the indoor-start lettuce and radish seedlings be on the weak/lanky side (due to the lack of daylight) so it'll be interesting to see if the direct sow method will yield better and strong crop.


With that in mind, this season I've focused most of my indoor seed starting energy to things like tomatoes (4 kinds!), herbs, snow peas, and cucumbers (and that's cat grass you see there in the center).  I probably will have to transplant some of the seedlings to bigger planters soon to encourage more growth.

Meanwhile, patience, patience, patience......

And let's see in 20 days if the first batch of "4 seasons lettuce" I directly sowed outside will be ready for harvest or not :)

~ Rebecca 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...