Sunday, September 25, 2011

Backyard Plant ID - "Black Lace" elderberry


Plant ID Round #1 - so what is that beautiful purple shrub in the right hand side against the fence?

When we bought the house, the plants hasn't fully bloomed and at one point we thought this might have been some sort of Japanese maple....

 
But as the plant grew, we noticed the shape of the leaves were not Japanese maple....
And in late Spring, these gorgeous pink flowers were popping up, so it was a clear indicator that this was some sort of elderberry shrub (I didn't figure it out on my own, thanks to several of my family members who are into landscaping and plants!).  

 
I did a bit more research online and concluded that this species is the "Black Lace" Elderberry (Sambucus Nigra).  It's a hardy shrub, with the dark purple leaves resembling Japanese maple (OK, so I wasn't the only one that got fooled!) and big "clumps" of purple berries forms after the pink flowers are gone. Apparently the elderberry are edible, but I don't think I'm going to try though... 

Here's a nice little website I found that gives detail description about the plant (http://www.colorchoiceplants.com/black_lace.htm) and (http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/sambucus/black-lace-elderberry-sambucus-nigra)



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...